Friday, March 23, 2012

Whole Food Smoothies

Here is something I started making for my family on mornings when there is little time to cook or eat.  Yeah, it's a smoothie, but there are no added sugars or even fruit juice.  It's made from tofu, walnuts, and whole fruit only.  It comes either extra thick or super extra thick!  The ingredients are per 16 oz smoothie.  I can make three in my Ninja blender.  My wife and I go out walking every morning and sometimes this is our reward when we get back--yum!

Whole Food Smoothie Ingredients
  • 3 oz silken firm organic tofu--1/4 of a 12.3 oz package (I use the aseptic Mori Nu Organic Non GMO) The silken blends better than the non silken; the firm tofu has higher protein content than the softer tofus
  • 1 organic banana, peeled
  • 1 organic seedless orange, peeled (the riper and juicier the better!)
  • 1 oz walnuts (I keep a huge bag in our freezer)
  • 1/3 cup organic frozen blueberries
  • 2-6 (depending on size) organic frozen strawberries
Depending on the size banana and orange you use, this smoothie will have between 500 and 600 calories with approximately 14 grams of protein, no added sugar, a serving of omega 3 fat from the walnuts and it will fill you up--as long as you can suck it through the straw! (You may want to get some of those extra wide bubble tea straws for these smoothies!  LOL)

"Do you want your smoothie thick or thick thick?"

1 comment: