Sunday, February 19, 2012

Arroz Verde Con Sollo

OK, this could not be a simpler dinner to throw together.  It's green rice with soy chicken (sollo = pollo de soya).  It satisfies my craving for two things: chicken and rice and green rice.  It also satisfies my quest for high nutrition in a short amount of time.

Arroz Verde Con Sollo
  • 2 cups brow rice or brown basmati rice
  • 2 cups dried TVP chunks
  • 6 cups low sodium Not Chicken Broth
  • 2 4 oz cans diced green chilies
  • 1 bunch green onions, finely chopped
  • 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
  • 2 bunches kale, finely chopped
Pull out the pressure cooker for this one.  Combine rice, TVP chunks and broth in pressure cooker, close lid and turn burner on high.  Once pressure valve pops up set timer for 25 minutes.  While pressure cooker comes up to heat and during cooking, chop greens and place in microwave safe bowl.
Microwave greens for about 5 minutes to wilt them.  When rice and soy chunks are done, run cold water on pressure cooker.  Once steam is reduced, remove lid and stir in greens.  Replace lid and set timer for another 15-20 minutes but leave pressure cooker off heat.

This has become a real staple in my house.  Kind of like the colcannon (mashed potatoes with greens).  I mean, if you want your comfort food to be good for you as well, add a bunch of flavorful greens and you've got something tasty, satisfying, and quite healthful.

Sorry there's no picture.  I could swear I took one, but it's not in my cell phone.  I'll add a picture to this post the next time I make this (which should be later this week since we all love it so much!).

No comments:

Post a Comment